Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Facing Death 2




How odd it is. Write a ‘Blog’ about death and few people will read it.
Are we really so terrified of death that we avert our eyes to the very mention of it?
We are, really, not afraid of death itself. Most of us will either believe in some better future or a complete non-existence.
No, the reality is that we fear the process of dying.

Some time ago there was a scientist on ‘Discovery Channel’ pontificating about different forms of execution; about how this would be excruciatingly painful but this would be, effectively painless.
I was curious as to how she would know this. Has she, perhaps, experienced these different forms of execution and so is able to explain the intricacies of it on a personal level?
Staggering.
We are told that, no matter how ‘painless’ or ‘rapid’ the termination of life is there will always be pain as the soul is torn from the body.
The atheists among us may now relax since they have no soul to be extracted.

One of the forms of execution that was described in detail was the Spanish garrotte. This was a screw that dislocated the spine at the neck, relatively slowly, one would think, so that the spinal column was disconnected.
I cringed at the thought of this.
The ‘Expert’ explained that this would be a relatively painless death.
Oh, yes? Really?
Bring back the guillotine!

Then there was the argument about whether Edison had a hand in the Electric Chair. An old discussion that will never be satisfactorily resolved. All this was, really, a marketing strategy between the Direct Current (DC) camp and the Alternating Current (AC) providers. I am told that some part of the US has DC provided to it even now. Perhaps that is where we get ‘Washington DC’!
No, really. I’m sorry. Bad joke in poor taste.
Thing is, about the Electric Chair, that it is supposed to be painless and merciful. Hmm. Well. You don’t see many pictures of executed people smiling after that sort of jolt.

It has been said, about the guillotine, that quite often people would be speaking after having their heads removed. Of course there would be no sound because they lacked sufficient lungpower to drive the vocal chords but, one would assume, someone skilled at lip-reading might have a clue as to what that final message might be.
“I can’t feel my fingers,” might be one such attempt at the last word. Or, perhaps, “Ouch, that smarts!”

Final thoughts:
Firstly, is there such a thing as a ‘pain free’ death? Probably not. Possibly exploding a pound, or two, of ‘Semtex’ plastique very close to your ear might not be quite so damaging to your hearing as it might be to your ability to draw another breath.

A second point that leaps to my mind is that we seem to be applying much thought and ingenuity to making an execution as painless as possible.
Why?
Think about this.
Your average murderer has not given his victim much of a choice and the odds are that the victim has passed away in agony and abject terror. Now we want the killer to go out nice and peacefully?
I think not. Does this make me evil? Possibly. But if the killer has sliced someone up the middle to terminate their existence the least we can do is return the favour.
Sadly, this punishment is not about the victim. Nobody really cares about victims, do they?

The third thing is this: do not wish for it. Ever.
“But I don’t.” I hear you say.
“Oh, but you do. All the time,” I reply.
I have listened to you. I have heard what you say and thought deeply about it.
Often you will say, “I’m bored. I wish the weekend would hurry up.” “I can’t wait for Sybil’s birthday party on Friday night.” “I’ll be glad when this job is over – my feet are killing me.”
You are wishing your life away. You are speeding towards an inevitable event.

Be happy NOW.

Enjoy your life while you still have it, it is far too valuable a commodity to be rushed or ignored.

No comments:

Post a Comment