Tuesday, October 27, 2015

3 Litre, V6 Toyota Estima is Ill!




Our car just died. Well, not actually quite dead but it is critically ill. It has gone in for major surgery at Dr. Tan’s clinic in Sentul.
On Monday morning I was expecting a chap to come around and assess the car for a potential trade-in value. We were seriously thinking of getting a new one.
Our car was made in 2002, we bought it as a reconditioned model from Japan in 2008. We love it. It is magnificently comfortable with plenty of power and room for most of our (large) family.
But it has been giving a bit of trouble recently and so, we thought, the time has come to say goodbye to our faithful friend.
About two hours before the assessor was due to arrive I went out and started the car’s engine. Make sure everything was ready for the big occasion.
I had previously emptied the car out—it is stunning how much stuff accumulates over the years. I bet your house is the same if you have lived there for a good while.
After a short while I noticed that the water temperature gauge was climbing up. And up. And up.
Uh, oh! Now would be a good time to kill the engine. The temperature wasn’t going up fast but it was going high.

Opened the bonnet (hood, to my US friends) to be greeted by clouds of steam hissing away.
Not good.
Took the top off the radiator header tank. It was empty. Filled it and put the top back on. Left it for a few minutes and opened it up again. It was empty. Repeated this trick three times and on the fourth I left it alone and went indoors.
The next morning Dr. Tan and one of his medical staff arrived and examined the engine. Judging by the skin of foam appearing on the top of the water in the radiator—that took some filling, by the way, it looked like there were internal injuries involved.
They took my beloved away to the clinic where major surgery is to be performed. A new engine and gearbox; new shock absorbers and a new start computer. Perhaps new wipers, too, to clear away the tears of parting.

BOM* and I sat holding hands, worrying about our dear friend and colleague. So many journies to so many places with just us and, in the past, with Mum, too.
I suggested that it was the car’s way of telling us that it didn’t want to leave us. It was begging to stay.
We talked about it, BOM and I, and decided that it could stay. Dr. Tan said that it would be good as new after treatment and a little tender loving care in the clinic.


This afternoon, my son, Zakwan, took me to visit the car. We took the opportunity to put four new tyres on his Honda while we were there.
The medical staff were clustered around pampering it and cosseting it.

It will take, they assure me, a week for the full treatment to take effect. They suggested that we go home and leave the car with them; it is in good hands—safe hands.
It was clear we should only get in the way.
We put a deposit down for the treatment and, with a feeling of sadness, we left it there. Alone.

Later, we telephoned the assessor and explained that there would be no need to come and look at the car.
We had decided that it would be better off with us than with some stranger.
The new car can wait until this one is ready to go.

I think I should send it a ‘Get Well’ card.
What do you think? It couldn’t hurt, could it?


*BOM = Beloved Of Mine (my lovely wife).

No comments:

Post a Comment