Sunday, December 27, 2015

Other Writers


I have often said, and by ‘often’ I mean repetitive to the point of boredom, that extinguishing someone else’s light does not make your light burn any brighter.

Those people who have great faith and comfort in their beliefs do not need to attack other people’s beliefs unless they feel insecure; perhaps their own faith is not as strong as they would like it to be.
We frequently see this personal attack—an ad hominem, if you will, launched at people on the Internet by those who are incapable of arguing* a point successfully and so they rely on attacking the belief or the person.

So it is in other fields, too.

Those who take the trouble to read this ‘Blog’, and I thank you for your patience and diligence, will know that I am a very ordinary person.
My field of expertise is in teaching aviation people about aeroplane systems and what we call ‘Human Factors in Aviation’.
Writing stories and this ‘Blog’ is a relaxation that gives me enormous pleasure. It allows me to let off steam and advertise things that need promoting (rather than selling).
Many of the things I write about are there because I do not understand them and, in putting it down on ‘paper’ there is an attempt to put things in order in my head.
That last is not always successful. At my age the ‘little grey cells’ (with apologies to M. Hercule Poirot) are not as active as I should care for them to be.

To return to that original point about extinguishing people’s lights it has come to my attention that there are those who write books and stories that do not care to talk about anyone else’s literary creations.
This puzzles me.
Is it possible that these writers feel threatened by ‘opposition’?
Surely, someone else who writes is a colleague and not an enemy.
Usually different writers select different genres and styles, thus another writer cannot be in competition.
I have several friends who write. People buy (I earnestly hope) their books, enjoy them and then, having been prompted into an urge to read—an enjoyment of turning the page whether on paper or electronically, they may discover my stories.

I have mentioned Ray Owen’s book ‘The Hole’ before. It is an excellent read. A copy of it is on my desk at this moment. It is available from Amazon for as little as $10.99 (£9.50 in UK).


‘The Improbable Wonders of Moojie Littleman’ is a wonderful, award winning, story from Robin Gregory. Robin is a warm-hearted and down-to-Earth lady with a magnificent imagination that she has given free rein to in this story. Well constructed and delightful it is also available on Amazon for a mere £14.00 (£8.98 in UK).


An Australian writer called R. B. Clague has given us ‘Whitefella Dreaming’. A tale to stir the imagination based on an unusual situation. From Amazon at only $15.99 (£10.40 in UK).


Just three examples of books by fellow authors that are really worth buying and reading. Each one will have taken a great deal of effort and sacrifice to write—sacrifice in terms of time and family life. Each one is an effort of will to sit down and write it; an effort to compose, put it in order; an effort to proof-read, correct, edit.
Yet each one comes to you for less than the price of a good meal or, maybe, a packet of cigarettes but will entertain you for longer than either the meal or the cigarettes. Certainly they will be better for your health than the ‘fags’!
They may entertain you for longer than it takes to read them. I am often haunted by mental images that come to me after reading a good story—these are no exception to that.

The main thing to note from this is not the ‘advertisement’ for Robin’s, R. B’s or Ray’s books (strange how they are all ‘R’s) but that by promoting them they have damaged neither my book sales nor my reputation.
They are different genres, of course, but even if they were all science fiction the styles would be completely different and the stories widely dissimilar but all would be enjoyable.

Sometimes making other people’s lights shine brighter makes your own light that little bit extra luminescent.



* It was once said to me that an argument is an exchange of ignorance whereas a discussion is an exchange of intelligence.

No comments:

Post a Comment